i

i

July 30, 2017

The Story of Him - IV

Hello, drawled RS. Hey, what's happening with you? No call for days or is months, Where have you been RS. What have you been up to? It seems like life has made you an expert on special appearances... You never talk to me and neither, I gather to any of the others. What's wrong? Are you fine....? And he went on and on. In what seemed to be several minutes worth of high pitched advises but lasted only for a few seconds, RS said hi, how are you. How is Aunty (easily the easiest way to divert your well-wishers attention is to recall your relation with his or hers family), I hope she is keeping well. Yes, RS, she is doing fine, we have to make monthly visits to PGI and the bus ride sometimes rattles her. But this is how it is, I am the son and I have to take care, isn't it....

Yessss, RS replied recalling him to be the fittest friend he ever had, running from Solan to Shimla in a few hours. At the peak of his athletic supremacy, he used to run for up to twelve hours in a single day over high hills and wide rivers. His was the ultimate body, not an ounce of fat..... not much bulk either...just pure animal sinews...RS could imagine him carrying his mother down from the mountains to the grand old hospital of Chandigarh without breaking a sweat, carrying out the ancient Indian tradition of Shravan who carried his blind parents across the country side. If only he could have excelled and cleared the army interviews, he would have made a great soldier for the country, one that the forces would have been proud of. But the very army rejected him thrice in the interviews - all for reasons unknown.

Yes, my dear old friend said RS... Yes.... You need to take care of the elders and that's that.... Anyways, how has life been? Hmmm, let me see... I dream of the army even today and moreso today... So many of our friends who entered the forces without breaking a sweat have been dropping out like flies... Imagine, after all the care the forces took of them, after all the money spent...here they are.... running away to sell soaps...soaps of all things.... Imagine an army man selling soaps... And I who wasted, no persevered for so many years now have the misfortune of being the host to all these runaways when they come visiting Chandigarh to reminisce the old college days.. And I who serves them hot fucking parathas when all my mind says, Wish I was in the army.... But here I am, a manager for a sales team, selling soaps over phone.... What an irony...my ex-army friends sell soap and so do I... And imagine how it would have been........

Leave it; I actually called you to let you know that I have transferred the money back to your account... Thanks a lot for the help, now that I have my dream house as well... in the city of dreams, my life is set... I have repaid all my installments, have blown away half my parent's pension on that dream house and now I have to commute two hours everyday because that dream house is faraway in the suburbs.... And to think that I own thirty acres of apple orchards in Himachal..... So fucked up, life is, isn't it..........

Hmm, RS pondered, ever the fast thinker.....Hamm... Take kindly to life....life herself is in a mess, managing so many of us and so much of our wasteful ways..... And thanks for calling, I am busy and we will speak in the evening....You cool down and bring your mother down to the plains. With this, the major event of RS's life, atleast for today came to an end....