the Computer OR the paper

I had an interesting discussion with a famous author some days back and the talk was on the pros and cons of writing, typewriting and keyboard writing. It was a learning experience to hear her talk because she was not against any form of writing. This comes as a blessing for people like us who like to write just for the sake of it and let others read as well.

Infact, the debate between writing down your thoughts and typing them has divided many people who write into fundamentalist groupings. When the lady expressed interest in an article that was published some time back, her first question was whether I have typed it or written it down. With great skepticism, I replied, saying that I typed it directly into the computer. To my relief, she readily agreed and said that she herself has started doing it nowadays.

Now, that brings be back to the question. Most people agree that writing with your pen on a sheet of blank paper always helps assimilate your thoughts better. Some go on to say that it helps you edit better a when the written word is fed into the computer, you are able to see the gaps better. Yet, there are many who say that while a person is typing on the computer, he sees the content lucidly and is saving a lot of effort into trying to reduce the time and effort that goes into writing.

On a personal front, I used to write on paper and still do a lot of times, especially when it is about some not-to-be-seen matter, but when I am writing as I am doing now for the public sphere, I tend to write directly into the computer as I find later editing much better on the computer. However, wherever I have done serious writing, part of it has been on paper and part of it on the computer. SO I would say that there is no particular answer to this vexing question. Though, I would confess that the quality of writing deteriorates when we type, especially on the grammar front. Dont know, comments reserved!!!

Whats Happening