Aparojito "The Unvanquishable"

Finally, I saw Aparojito. Subtle but strong. That is what I personally felt after watching this movie. The mother son relation that we often hear about was realistically potrayed. Guess, this is why Roy is so widely acclaimed. He hits below the belt without letting the protagonist even feel it.

The starting scene itself is so spiritual that it connected me to my cosmic otherself. Almost felt like going out and taking a bath down those 64 steps. Benares even Hardwar is the best to be in in early mornings and after sunsets. What also struck me was the emphasis on the minutest details, something present day filmmakers can surely learn from.

The mother potrayed was just as my mother and as most mothers are. It was an illuminating detail of a typical poor at caste but rich at heart family. everything was from our lives. Children from that era are the same as children from this era. as again the children of the very rich are same as are children of the very poor. The potrayal of Apu's mother without doubt a magnificient justification of Ray and the actress. Her entire being was so powerful that I got the feeling that barring herself, she could withstand anything. Finally, it was she who caused her own death.

From the beginning as a bickering ma to a shy tenant to a strong support for her ill husband to the caring of her love - the actress potrayed what a mother should be.

Satyajit Ray - I have heard about since I was born. Today, I felt I saw what he saw when he made his movies. He saw ligth inspite of darkness, hope inspite of drudgery. He gave the simplest of twists, so subtle that they are hardly noticed. His technical finesse is there. Inspite of an obsolete technology, his own charisma made the movie flawless. All the smallest details were highlighted. The monkeys in the temple were shown the way they actually live without any add-on. Even the humour was light.

And Apu the child was potrayed without any misapprenhesion. Clearly, the movie deserves a lot of gratitude just for being made, 60 years on...

Comments

Popular Posts